Dryer Fire Evacuates Riverton H.S.
by Xavier Walton, firstname.lastname@example.org
A dryer fire forced the evacuation and closure of Riverton High School Thursday morning. Officials say damage was confined to the clothes dryer, but smoke filled the entire building.
The fire was reported around 9:30 a.m. and firefighters had it out a short time later.
Everyone was safely evacuated, but there were some tense moments for both students and staff. "We heard the sirens on the fire trucks going off and we were like, 'this is real,'" said Sophomore Anthony Condie.
"It was not immediate where the fire was at -- we couldn't see flames," added Principal Joanne Flanagan. "There was no evidence of fire, there was just a great deal of smoke."
School and fire officials spent Thursday airing out the building, and say classes should resume on Friday morning. One freshman basketball game scheduled for Thursday did have to be cancelled because of the fire.