Wyoming Cold Cases

by Xavier Walton, xwalton@k2tv.com

In recent weeks two arrests were made in connection with two Wyoming cold cases from the mid 70s and early 80s.

The alleged killers in both cases were found living under the same roof more than 30 years later.

K2's Xavier Walton has the murder mystery from Dickinson Park to Ozark, Missouri.

"I said 30 years from now if we find a body I'm going to be on your door step," said Tim McKinney, Fremont County Sheriff at the time of the murder.

The two alleged killers, Alice and Gerald Uden, now in their 70s, are facing 1st degree murder charges for killing their spouses.

The arrests made in Chadwick, Missouri, were linked to unsolved murder mysteries Wyoming.

Nearly four decades from his last sighting his remains found at the bottom of an abandoned gold mine on well-renowned Remount Ranch in southeastern Wyoming.  According to the affidavit, it was a witness who led investigators to the ranch which Alice lived on for some years as a care taker.

"He thought his mother had murdered someone in Cheyenne, put them in a barrel and dumped them in a well in a Remount Ranch," said McKinney.

The weapon used in the killing of Ronald Holtz, Alice's ex-husband was a .22-caliber rifle, which was the same weapon of choice for another unsolved Wyoming murder mystery.  So from the remains of Alice's ex-husband, we head north 283 miles to Dickinson Park.

"There was a car parked on Trout Creek Canyon and it looked kind of suspicious," said McKinney. "We were later able to get the car out and found there was blood in the back seat."

But because of the lack of technology, tests could only determine the blood type, which was in fact a match to Virginia Uden.

"While Gerald may have confessed to the murders of his ex-wife and two children, the fact of the matter remains, the bodies of Virginia, Richard, and Reagen are still missing."

We felt like we had done everything we could legally," said McKinney.

But that wasn't enough, the lack of resolve heightened frustrations within the missing victims families, especially Virginia's mother who died in April.

"All the trials and tribulations that went with it, I just felt so sorry for her," said McKinney. "And she was just so frustrated and it's just too bad she isn't still alive to know."