Two Die After House Fire

by Xavier Walton, xwalton@k2tv.com

Two are dead after a home in Evanston burst into flames early Thursday morning.

The initial investigation is underway.  Authorities at this point have no reason to suspect foul play and believe the fire was started by accident.

The two inside the home were Jack and Mary Jaros- long time Evanston residents.




Early Thursday morning an Evanston home went up in smoke, flames shot into the nights sky some 20 feet high.

The video is a first responder.  When we slow it down you can see the flames bursting into the air.

"When first responders showed up the house was engulfed in flames," said Lt. Bill Jeffers, Evanston Police Dept.

The fire was called in just before 3 a.m.  It took fire crews two hours to get control, but it was too late.  Two people inside the home are confirmed dead.

"We've got a state fire marshall, we've local fire and they're up there investigating," said Jeffers.

The house on 412 Sue Drive is a total loss according to authorities.  No surrounding homes were affected.  Officials hope this tragedy serves as a reminder for homeowners.

"Be proactive.  Make sure your detectors in the house are working," said Jeffers.

In Evanston I'm Xavier Walton K2 News.