Pet Tip Tuesday- Human Medications

Human medications: One of the most common emergencies and overdoses we see.  Not just from treatment, but from dropping pills and dog chewing bottles of medications


What medications can I use in my pet?

-          Only those prescribed or recommended by your veterinarian 

-          Many human medications are NOT safe and actually toxic to your pet  

-     Cats are more sensitive to medications, even those that are safe in dogs


Let’s go through some of these common medications:


Tylenol: Break down product causes

-          Liver injury and death, and possibly

-          Renal (kidney) tubule injury

-          Inability to bind oxygen to red blood cells.

               **Even ONE dose can lead to these symptoms 



-          anorexia, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, melena (black stools)

-          ataxia (weakness, falling, dizziness)

-          Increased thirst and urination

-          Postmortem lesions associated with ibuprofen toxicoses include perforations, erosion, ulceration, and hemorrhage of the gastrointestinal tract


Aspirin: Salicylic Acid

-          Stimulates and then depresses respiration.

-          Gastrointestinal ulceration and perforation can occur.

-          Mental depression and ataxia can progress to coma and death in days.

-          Bone marrow suppression and toxic hepatitis, especially in cats 

**Even therapeutic non-toxic doses can cause gastric irritation and hemorrhage, blood tinged vomiting and bloody diarrhea



             -    Contains Aspirin and causes the same toxicity


Prescription Medications: 

                -      Very Potent for humans and can be extremely toxic to pets

Even if your pet is painful PLEASE DO NOT give any medication without first consulting your veterinarian

Megan Okes, DVM
Best Friends Animal Health Center