Flesh-Eating Bacteria Kills One in Campbell County

by Taylor Viydo, tviydo@k2tv.com 
A person hospitalized in Gillette for flesh-eating bacteria has died. That person is one of three cases of Group A Streptococcus infections reported at Campbell County Memorial Hospital. 
Dr. Chris Brown, an infectious disease specialist at Campbell County Memorial Hospital, says the person who died had close contact with one of the other patients before they got to the hospital. Those two people both had necrotizing fasciitis, commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria. 
Brown says the third infected patient has Group A Strep, but does not have the flesh-eating variety. 
The patient who died was treated with antibiotics and surgery, but neither were successful. Hospital officials would not release further information due to patient privacy laws. The hospital did confirm, however, that the first case of the Group A Strep was identified between mid-August and early September.
Brown says no additional cases of Group A Streptococcus have been reported at this point, and the risk of the disease spreading is considered low. He adds that the cases originated in the community.
Last week, a dog in Campbell County died from flesh-eating bacteria as well. However, health officials say it is not related to the three human cases.