Pet Tip Tuesday- Human Medications

Human medications: One of the most common emergencies and overdoses we see.  Not just from treatment, but from dropping pills and dog chewing bottles of medications

 

What medications can I use in my pet?

-          Only those prescribed or recommended by your veterinarian 

-          Many human medications are NOT safe and actually toxic to your pet  

-     Cats are more sensitive to medications, even those that are safe in dogs

 

Let’s go through some of these common medications:

 

Tylenol: Break down product causes

-          Liver injury and death, and possibly

-          Renal (kidney) tubule injury

-          Inability to bind oxygen to red blood cells.

               **Even ONE dose can lead to these symptoms 

 

Ibuprofen:

-          anorexia, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, melena (black stools)

-          ataxia (weakness, falling, dizziness)

-          Increased thirst and urination

-          Postmortem lesions associated with ibuprofen toxicoses include perforations, erosion, ulceration, and hemorrhage of the gastrointestinal tract

 

Aspirin: Salicylic Acid

-          Stimulates and then depresses respiration.

-          Gastrointestinal ulceration and perforation can occur.

-          Mental depression and ataxia can progress to coma and death in days.

-          Bone marrow suppression and toxic hepatitis, especially in cats 

**Even therapeutic non-toxic doses can cause gastric irritation and hemorrhage, blood tinged vomiting and bloody diarrhea

 

PeptoBismol:

             -    Contains Aspirin and causes the same toxicity

 

Prescription Medications: 

                -      Very Potent for humans and can be extremely toxic to pets

Even if your pet is painful PLEASE DO NOT give any medication without first consulting your veterinarian
   

-- 
Megan Okes, DVM
Best Friends Animal Health Center