Pet Tip Tuesday- Summer Phobias
- Dogs more affected than cats
- Thunderstorms, Fireworks, car rides, boating
What kind of behavior would I see if my pet is scared?
- Varies in severity
- Hiding- especially cats
- Digging or other destructive behaviors
How do we help our pets with these fears?
- Exposure decreases sensitivity- gradually increase (if possible)
- Reassure with calm voice and petting
- Keep in a quiet, dark, isolated location (basement, bathroom) to lessen sound and stimulation
- Crates work well to keep pets safe
Anything else that you would recommend before medication?
- New “thundershirt”- constant pressure like a hug to comfort your pet when you are not home
What about more severe fears- are there medications?
- YES… we typically try to modify behavior first
- Feliway and DAP (dog appeasing pheromone)
- Behavior modifying drugs
**The downfall of SOME medications is that they need to be given weeks before to be effective, or 30-45 minutes before anxiety producing situation.
- Can’t predict thunderstorms or fireworks