Pet Tip Tuesday- Picking a Pet for your Family
Picking a new pet for your family
What needs to be taken into consideration when getting a new pet?
Many questions you need to ask yourself before your bring a new friend home
- Why do you want a pet?
- Companionship, entertainment, teaching responsibility to kids
- How much time do you have for a pet? Who will take care of it?
- Each type and breed of pet requires different levels of time and care. With too little attention we can see behavioral problems develop.
- How much space do you have?
- Dogs need room to exercise- lack of exercise can lead to health and behavior issues.
- What is your lifestyle?
- Do you have an active life, are you gone a lot
- Does anyone in the family have allergies?
- NO HYPOALLERGENIC PETS, some are LESS likely to make allergies worse
How do I choose?
- Need to know your options; pets are not just dogs, cats and horses, but fish, reptiles, amphibians, small mammals
- Do some research BEFORE you go looking at pets…don’t buy or adopt on a whim!