Gillette Residents Survive Las Vegas Shooting

Casper, Wyoming - A Wyoming family is now safe back home in Gillette after coming under fire in that mass shooting in Las Vegas a week ago. Among the over 500 people injured was one Gillette man, but his son sprang into action helping as many people as he could.

It was an all too fearful sight. A rogue gunman firing into a crowd of thousands. Bayelee Burton, returning from the restroom as the bullets began to rain down.

“I was by the vip tent and there was a guy that was in front of me, and I stopped and went to get around him then I heard the first 4 shots,” said Burton. “Me and this guy looked at each other like 'what is that?' and I was like 'I don't know, I think it was a cap gun. I have no idea. I don't know why someone would have that.' Then it just started and it just kept going and going and going.”

The sights and sounds overwhelming.

“It was crazy. You never could think or imagine going through something like that,” said Burton.

Amidst the chaos, Burton tapped into his fire-EMS training and went to work.

“I just crouched down and everyone beside me was crouched down and started running around the corner. I was just sitting there, I was keeping everyone calm. I was like 'Everyone just has to stay calm, you can't freak out and run because you're a bigger target if you run.” said Burton.

Eventually moving to an improvised emergency room in the first aid tent.

“It was just a wreck in there. They had supplies just thrown everywhere. I was just finding more supplies, holding IV bags and things like that. There was a lot of people that pitched in that night,” Burton said.

By this time, Burton was separated from his family.

“I never heard from my family until probably like an hour and a half to two hours later. I finally got a hold of my mom and she was like 'We're fine and we're locked down at the Tropicana.' and she was like 'Where are you?' and I'm like 'I'm still out at the venue, helping.' she was like 'You need to get inside.' and I'm like 'I'm fine, i'm helping.' We never got a call from my dad until probably three or four hours later. We didn't know if he was alive, didn't know if someone found him or what was going on with him.”

It wasn't until midnight when he and his family received a call from the hospital.

“It was my dad actually, but off of a hospital, someone else's phone. And you couldn't even understand him. He was just like mumbling, he was so out of it you couldn't even understand him. So then the nurse grabbed the phone and was like 'Hey we have your husband at University Medical Center. Here's the number, call us as soon as possible. [They] Didn't say if he was shot in the head, shot in the leg, they didn't tell us anything.” said Burton.

Bayelee's father Clint was shot in the thigh, but doctors told the Burtons luck was on their side.

“They never told us how bad it actually was until we were leaving. They said 'He lost so much blood he was basically on his last limb. He was about, just about dead.' But they saved his life, that's for sure.”

The Burton family has since made it back to the cowboy state. As for Bayelee, he joins the likes of many first responders whose instinct is to help others during times of tragedy.